Business owners gathered at the San Pedro Town Council’s conference room on Tuesday November 29, 2016, as the municipality held consultation for a beautification project for the island designated from downtown San Pedro to Boca del Rio.
Jason Fox from Canada has dedicated time into coming to Belize along with five climate change experts who have a desire in making San Pedro a better place. They presented various options that the Town Council can take into beautifying key areas of town.
Business owners were given a couple minutes to come up with ideas of their own on how they could go about doing this. They were then given the time to explain their ideas to everyone.
A few ideas thrown into the discussion included:
- Reduction of traffic by ceasing the issuing of permits to golf cart rentals and allowing only residents to receive golf cart permits
- Not allowing any vehicles to park on the beach. A parking lot to be made for residents and tourist to park safely and walk to the beach
- Remove taxi parking on front street
- Pave the back street behind the police station
- Plant trees and fix the park for the children
- Enhance and segregate public toilets in the park
- Banners are to be removed after 24 hours of an event. Political parties inclusive
- Public transportations for kids to get to and from school in order to reduce the amount of traffic
These where only some of the key points discussed during the private meeting with businesses and stakeholders; many more were taken into consideration. Consequences were also discussed, given that there would be those who do not abide to the new rules once they are set in place.
However, the San Pedro Town Council also seeks the voice and opinions of the general public. Therefore, a community consultation will be held on Thursday, December 1, 2016, where everybody is invited to listen and make suggestions on how to beautify our Isla Bonita and make it a better and more pleasant place to live. Everyone’s opinion counts and can hopefully make a difference.