Primary tabs

Faulty electrical wiring was the cause of a small explosion outside a local residence/business complex on Pescador Drive (Middle Street) this morning, Wednesday, October 29, 2014, that would have caused a major fire in downtown San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, if it were not the quick thinking of alert and caring neighbors.

The San Pedro Fire Department and the Belize Electricity Limited (BEL) were immediately informed of the situation as the electrical meter had exploded on the resident building that housed the two local businesses, Sundancer Realty and Island Bargain Center across from Nellie’s Property Management/Laundromat.  Minutes later, the meter wiring started sparking once again and a section of the wooden wall started to catch on fire.

It was the quick thinking of the security personnel of Atlantic Bank who saved the day as two of them extinguished the fire with fire extinguishers. Both BEL linesmen and firefighters arrived at the scene just in time to assist and cut power to the building.

An electrician who was passing by at the moment commented that there are still some old homes in downtown San Pedro with old wiring and residents should consider rewiring their building and connections to the main electrical supply. In this case a handy fire extinguisher is also a very essential item to have around the house and business. Local electricians and personnel from the electric company can make assessments for homes and businesses to be safe.

House Fire Quickly Averted by Quick Thinking

House Fire Quickly Averted by Quick Thinking

House Fire Quickly Averted by Quick Thinking

House Fire Quickly Averted by Quick Thinking

House Fire Quickly Averted by Quick Thinking

Click Here for More News on Ambergris Today Online

perlita_zapata's picture

perlita_zapata

No comment

Leave a Response