- Press Release, Government Press Office, Belmopan, October 30, 2014 – The Ministry of Health continues to carry out activities aiming at containing any possible threats of Ebola in Belize.
1. The Ministry of Health has ramped up a series of coordinated activities in conjunction with the Customs and Excise Department, the Immigration Department and the airlines for further strengthening at the Phillip Goldson International Airport (PGIA).
2. A meeting was held with the airlines and personnel from the Airport Concession Company to agree on the implementation of new procedures for passenger arrival. A flow chart for processing of passengers is in use as a guide for Public Health Inspectors (PHIs) who are now being rotated at the International Airport.
3. Training continues on infection control procedures for a wide cross section of persons at the International Airport.
4. Follow-up meetings with relevant stakeholders were conducted this week at the National Emergency and Management Organization to review progress on the National Ebola Plan of Action. These meetings will continue on a weekly basis.
5. The Isolation Unit is being fitted to support surveillance activity at the International Airport.
6. A treatment facility has been identified requiring minimal additional requirements to allow quarantine and treatment of a contact symptomatic case(s).
7. The National Ebola Plan is being finalized by the Planning Unit of the Ministry of Health. It covers surveillance, quarantine, treatment and risk communication.
8. Surveillance activities have increased with Cruise Lines by PHIs in collaboration with relevant stakeholders.
9. Land Point of Entries are being prioritized for similar procedures that are being implemented at the International Airport.
10. A review of travel restrictions continues.
The Ministry reminds the public of the hotline for information (629-5604) and we continue to urge the public to visit the Ministry of Health website at www.health.gov.bz for more information on Ebola and other health related issues.