Miss San Pedro, Michelle Nunez, along with members of the non-profit organization On Eagle’s Wings Ministries (OEWM) hosted a successful fundraising banquet dinner at Ramon’s Village on Saturday, May 16, 2015 under a Maya-themed event.
Michelle Nunez has been successful in joining efforts with OEWM to establish her S.H.I.N.E foundation that is a youth enrichment program for girls 13 to 16 years old with the goal to empower and motivate them to reach their full potential. On the other hand OEWM, based out of the USA, has expanded its reach to San Pedro in hopes to empower and bring a brighter future to females that have been sexually exploited and to those at risk of exploitation.
The banquet dinner was held to raise funds for a S.H.I.N.E. Center that will be built in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, which will serve as a community center for girls. During the gala dinner, a preliminary architectural concept design for the proposed center was presented to those in attendance; the land for the center has been purchased by On Eagles Wings Ministries.
OEWM’s accomplishments in San Pedro for 2014 include:
* Illuminate Self Esteem Building Workshops at San Pedro High School
* Human Trafficking Identification Training with US Embassy of Belize for Social Work Students, NGO’s and Department of Human Services.
* Remodeled the office of Human Services to make it more family and child friendly
* Radio spotlights to educate community members on Commercial Sexual Exploitation and Prevention with Lighthouse Radio San Pedro.
*Good Morning San Pedro TV Show “Teen Talk” with Angel Nunez and Clive Welsh to educate teens and parents on Commercial Sexual Exploitation and Prevention
* Bar outreaches where gift bags were provided to exploited women and girls working in the bars of San Pedro with a local hotline for counseling and support
Attendants of the event participated in a Chinese Auction that managed to raise close to $2,000Bze with a grand prize to an all-expense paid trip to the Belize Chocolate Festival. OEWM also made great strides in obtaining much needed funding through sponsorship and will continue its fundraising efforts in the community throughout the year.
Miss San Pedro, Michelle Nunez, talked about her experience with her very first group of girls that participated in a 6-part curriculum program under the S.H.I.N.E. foundation and invited the community to attend and support the young girls in the upcoming Fashion Show. It will be their last activity to help build self esteem. The fashion show takes place at the R. Angel Nunez Auditorium on Sunday, May 24, at 8p.m.