This site known as Friendship Park has always been a busy and popular spot. In the 1950’s and 60’s, it was just an empty lot behind Daddy’s and in front of the Roman Catholic Church and in this spot the children of the village had the best softball and soccer friendly matches. It was also the village spot where children played evening games of all kinds. Then in 1985 the very first Town Council of San Pedro under Mayor Chico Gomez and Sports Councilor Nicolas Varela enclosed the site, placed wood benches and erected a volleyball court and officially named it Friendship Park. For many years, this was the hottest spot in on a daily basis and especially on weekends when volleyball tournaments were held. Today it is still a busy spot only that it is for the sale of food, souvenirs and even clothing by a an army of small business peddlers.
Flashback pictures of San Pedro, Ambergris Caye are welcomed! Please send pictures to Ambergris Today at: [email protected]