The San Pedro Roman Catholic School received three Gold awards and 11 Silver awards at the Festival of Arts regional competition that took place on Friday, March 26 at the Rafael Angel Nuñez Auditorium. The Island's primary school children were invited to showcase their talent for a chance to enter the national competition for the Festival of Arts what will take place at a later date in Belize City. San Pedro Roman Catholic School received the most awards followed by New Horizon Seventh Day Adventist School and Caye Caulker Primary School with three awards each.
By Raquel Badillo Earth hour is a worldwide happening prepared by the WWF (World Wildlife Fund for Nature) and is held on the last Saturday of March every year. Earth hour involves the participation of households and businesses who turn off their lights for one hour to conserve electricity and to raise awareness about caring for our Earth. This event was originated in Sydney, Australia where 2.2 million residents participated in 2007 by kindly turning off their lights. This year it was held on March 27, 2010 from 8:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
As residents of Ambergris Caye woke up on Thursday, March 18, morning they were shocked to learn that a Police Officer had been shot at about 3:00 in the morning. According to reports by officials of the department, Officer Gavin Sanchez was shot as he pulled his gun on a member of his own Police Department, Sergeant Paulino Reyes.
San Pedro Lobster Fest Featured in Travel Book San Pedro’s famous Lobster Festival is getting a big boost from one of Frommer’s travel guides. Our ever popular Lobster Fest has been featured in Frommer’s “300 Unmissable Events and Festival Around the World”.
- Press Release - Mojito Bar & Grill will be hosting its first annual “Shrimp Fest” this Easter Weekend Saturday, April 3 and Sunday, April 4, 2010 from 9:00am through 6pm. There will be a mouth watering array of Shrimp prepared in every culinary assortment to satisfy every appetite. Fry Fish, BBQ Fish, Chicken, Pork, and Sausage will also be available as well as our famous $5.00 Assorted Fresh Fruit Mojitos.
Presidents of all the different neighborhood watches on the island were summoned at an emergency meeting with Area Representative and Minister of Tourism and Civil Aviation and Mayor Elsa Paz on Thursday, March 17, to tackle the main issue that is affecting our island at the moment – Crime.
- Press Release - The 2nd Annual Tres Pescados Slam Tournament scheduled for August 12th, 13th and 14th, 2010 has been approved once again as a qualifying event for the IGFA Inshore World Championships held each year in Islamorada, Florida. Belize will again be 1 of only 3 countries outside of the USA approved as a qualifying event bringing prestige and professionalism to our annual fly fishing event and local guides.
Ambergris Today got a call late in the afternoon at about 4:00 p.m. on Thursday, March 11 about a barge stuck on the reef. We set to investigate the matter and upon arriving on site, 8 miles north of San Pedro Town (close to Blue Reef Resort), we discovered that barge had flipped over and was lying on top of the coral reef.
Tourists ask for the restaurant by name when they reach Ambergris Caye. “Please direct me to Waruguma.” It has become a very popular Salvadoran eatery along the lines of the famous Elvi’s Kitchen, Cocina Caramba and The Reef Restaurant and Hollywood Celebrity Kal Penn was one such customer of the famous Waruguma Restaurant this past weekend. Kal Penn walked through the streets of San Pedro incognito before making a stop at Waruguma where he enjoyed a great meal. A handful of people who recognized him were fortunate enough to get a picture and autograph from the star.
* Popular bar establishment BC’s Bar was hit by armed Robbers - Carlo Segura, 34-year-old, Belizean Bartender for BC’s Bar located on the beach front, reported to police that on Friday, March 12 at about 11:30p.m. whilst standing outside BC’s bar he was alerted by a barking dog. Upon making further checks he noticed three male person of dark skin complexion covering their faces; one of them had what appeared to be a hand gun. Shortly after he heard a loud noise resembling that of gunshot and discovered that the dog was shot.
- Press Release - BEL, Brahma Blue, and Mr. Bob Dillon would like to proudly announce that Costa Del Sol Island, Caribbean Cove is now official a customer of BEL. On Saturday March 13, 2010 Brahma Blue Resort was officially power by BEL. This success is the result of a two year project by BEL and its partner customers. BEL began by submerging a cable from their generating facility in San Pedro, across the lagoon and then to Costa del Sol island. A transformer was then installed and the cable connected. This portion of the project was completed November 2008.
BUDGET 2010: Sales Tax Going Up 25%! Increase on Electricity tax! The fiscal year closes at the end of March and the budget’s performance for 2009 to 2010 was poor, and the coming year promises to bring new and additional taxes. Prime Minister Dean Barrow presented the Budget on Monday, March 15 and called it “Recovery Today, Prosperity Tomorrow”.
Article by: The Coral Reef Alliance The increasing numbers of invasive lionfish in the Belize Barrier Reef World Heritage Site and associated reef systems cause additional negative impacts on an already stressed ecosystem affected by overfishing, coral bleaching and ocean acidification.
It seemed as if a rock star had just arrived on the island as commotion took o the streets of San Pedro Town Wednesday afternoon, March 10. But indeed celebrities in their own right, the San Pedro High School Math Olympiad team are indeed famous. Residents lined up along the streets to cheer along with the entire school for the National Champions of the Math Olympiad. It is a great accomplishment for San Pedro High School and we are all proud of our team. Dear Editor:
Meet the six contestants for Miss Chiquitita Pageant Organizers for the Miss Chiquitita Pageant are pleased to present to you the six beautiful and talented young girls they are: *Nayobi Rivero 6-year-old *Leilani Alamilla 6-year-old – The San Pedro Town Council *Adrianie Henkis 7-year-old – Ashley’s *Gabriela Knox 6-year-old – Wild Mangos *Marcela Bonilla 4-year-old – Mambo Chill *Victoria Moguel 7-year-old – The Community of San Pedro
“Women Achievers in Belize” is the theme for Belize National Library Service Women's Month for March 2010. For years women’s contributions were routinely underestimated or ignored even in the history of our own profession. San Pedro Public Library is celebrating Women's Month, by mounting displays about women who have/are contributing/achieved in some way or the other within our society - displaying profile picture along with their biographies and their achievements.
Fisheries Minister on the HOT SEAT San Pedro Tour Guide Association president Billy Leslie calls this legislation “an insult to every resident of San Pedro and insult to every Belizean”. Leslie is referring to Government’s decision to apply a license to anyone who wants to engage in fishing. In simple terms this license will be charged unto any person who goes to the beach, the end of the lagoon or the end of a pier or even at the Boca del Rio with a fishing line and the intention to catch a fish or two for his children to have a decent fish meal.
- Press Release - Pageants are a celebration of smart, strong, successful, well-rounded women. Ms Tatiana Rivero is the embodiment of Belizean women as she is beautiful, intelligent and rich in culture. She has been a positive role model for young women ever since winning the coveted title of Miss San Pedro in 2003.
It all began with a conscious mind of keeping La Isla Bonita Clean that Chris Emmanuel got the idea of creating this wonderful sculpture of a Spotted Eagle Ray made out of plastic bottles. As he takes his ritual morning walks down the beach, Chris explains that he takes time to pick up discarded plastic bottles and trash that he finds along the way.