The number of foreign visitors to Central America increased by 10.8% in 2010 compared to the previous year, according to preliminary figures provided by the Tourism Ministries of Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Panamá. A total of 11,839,922 visitors arrived in Central America during 2010, 1,155,564 more than in 2009.
- Press Release, Belmopan, April 13, 2011 – In accordance with the Belizean official holiday calendar, the Mexican Embassy will close its offices in Belmopan and Belize City from April 22 to 25, 2011. The consular services in Belize City, including the issuing of passports and visas will be suspended during those days.
Mayor Elsa Paz, along with members of the San Pedro Town Council, travelled to San Salvador, El Salvador where they attended a trade show/tourism fair from April 8 to 10. FERPROTUR (Feria de Proveedores de Turismo) is a trade show/fair that brings together several countries to promote their country, vacation destinations, restaurants, hotels and products.
- by Chandel Rodriquez, Intern British Caribbean Bank International Limited’s (BCB) official opening ceremony of their San Pedro branch took place on April 12, 2011, at their financial center located on the Barrier Reef Drive across the Roman Catholic Church.
The students of The Island Academy were in for a treat this morning, April 13, 2011, as Vince and Cherie Rose of the American Crocodile Elementary Sanctuary (ACES) and his team made a special presentation about crocodiles. And to the children’s surprise they had a 12-foot crocodile on display.
“There are many new and exciting initiatives underway at BTB as we reposition the organization to lead Belize’s destination branding and marketing to a higher level in accordance with our goals to leverage BTB efforts in dynamic and positive ways to better serve the country’s tourism stakeholders.” These were the words of Seleni Matus, Director of Tourism of the Belize Tourism Board, as she sen
Belize’s Best Softball Teams to Face Off in San Pedro
- Press Release - Grid Earth’s efforts to provide safe solar powered household lighting is directly bringing hope to the residents of San Mateo. One woman shares her story about her children who are now able to do their homework at night.
Saturday, April 9, the Old Football Field was the place to be as seven beautiful girls took center stage and gave their very best as they competed for the coveted title of Miss Chiquitita 2011. All were charming and beautiful but only one of them took the grand prize home. Beautiful Gabriella Alexander Knox won the hearts of the judges and took the coveted title of Miss Chiquitita 2011.
Reese Witherspoon, Jim Toth Enjoy "Happy" Family Honeymoon in Belize. Less than two weeks after tying the knot, newlyweds Reese Witherspoon and Jim Toth touched down in Belize for a romantic six-day honeymoon stay.
Man stabbed in the San Pedrito AreaOne man is detained at the San Pedro Police Station and pending charges after having stabbed another man in the early morning hours of Thursday, April 7.
- Press Release, Belize City, April 6, 2011- The Belize Tourism Board, with the assistance of the Border Management Agency and under its new hospitality building initiative, presents the Information Kiosks Project.
On Wednesday, April 6, 2011, Be Kind Belize was proud to celebrate the graduation of 18 children from Standards 1, 4 and 5 at The Island Academy. All of the students had successfully completed the Be Kind Belize program.
The Ministry of Health sponsored a San Pedro Community Health Fair that took place today, April 7, 2011 at Central Park. There were lots of games, prizes and surprises for those who attended, in particular the school children who swarmed to the fair.
Dr. Dennis Kubasko of UNCW (University of North Carolina Wilmington) has been coming to the island with students to do their teaching internship and volunteering their services at schools on the island for a couple of years now.
The San Pedro High School was proudly represented for the first time ever at the Track and Field Regional held in Orange Walk on Friday, April 1, 2011. A group of 32 athletes along with coach - Mr. Kirk Lainfiesta, Sports Coordinator – Mr. Paul Kelly and Principal Emil Vasquez went to Regionals and came back with over 50 medals.
- Press Release, SAGA, April 6, 2011 - If you saw a sick and starving dog, could you walk by and not look back? Thankfully for Sarnita, a beautiful and gentle pot licker, two kind hearted business owners in San Pedro could never do such a thing. They took one look at the pathetic pup, wandering helplessly on Coconut Drive and made the decision to save her.
- Press Release - To celebrate Child Stimulation month (March), the San Pedro Town Library has a new VIP library patron. A five-year-old female saltwater crocodile visited the library during Noontime Story Hour. She was recently rescued from a drying pond on south Ambergris Caye.
It cannot be said that San Pedro and Ambergris Caye have not felt the pinch of the ailing economy, but compared to other parts of Belize, it is fairing off much better at the moment. In fact high officials in government and the opposition believe and have the confidence that San Pedro could be the answer to saving the Belizean economy.
“Junior Buddy” – Jaguar Snags Phone Book Cover On Friday, April 1, Belize Telemedia Limited unveiled its 2011 Telephone Directory. Customers will be pleased to note that the Company continues to enhance the directory by making it more user- friendly, attractive, and informative.